Creamy chicken potato curry is a delicious, simple dinner recipe made with coconut milk, tomatoes and the spices you already have in your kitchen.
Table of Contents
(Quantities and method can be found in the recipe card below.)
- Garlic + Ginger
- Boneless chicken thighs. I prefer chicken thighs because they stay juicy but any chicken can be used.
- Potatoes. Sweet potatoes, pumpkin, cauliflower and butternut squash are all good substitutions.
- Spices. I always have Garam Masala and a variety of spices in my kitchen but use any you have. Turmeric, cardamom, coriander, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, black pepper, etc. Curry powder will also work.
- Tomatoes. Fresh/Canned/Puree.
- Coconut milk. If you don’t have coconut milk, you can use heavy or whipping cream too.
Can I make this curry ahead?
Yes, like most curries this one is even better the next day. The cooked curry will last for up to 3 days covered in the fridge.
How to freeze chicken curry
Allow cooked curry to cool completely then transfer to a freezer appropriate container. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature then heat gently in a saucepan until bubbling.
What to serve with chicken potato curry
Easy curry recipes
Easy creamy chicken potato curry
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves crushed/minced
- 2 tsp ginger crushed
- 750 g / 1½lbs Boneless chicken thighs cubed
- 2 large potatoes cubed
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 400 g (14oz) tomato puree (canned tomatoes/tomato passata/tomato sauce will all work)
- 400 g (14oz) coconut milk
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a deep skillet/pan, heat two tablespoons oil/butter/ghee then add the onion. Allow to cook until soft and translucent.
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook until fragrant then add the chicken.
- Allow the chicken to cook until it starts to brown. Add the potatoes and spices and stir to combine.
- Pour in the tomatoes, coconut milk and sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes with the lid ajar until the chicken and potatoes are cooked through.
- Season to taste and serve with your choice of side dishes.