Creamy chicken potato curry is a delicious, simple dinner recipe made with coconut milk, tomatoes and the spices you already have in your kitchen.
(Quantities and method can be found in the recipe card below.)
- Garlic + Ginger
- Boneless chicken thighs. I prefer chicken thighs because they stay juicy but any chicken can be used.
- Potatoes. Sweet potatoes, pumpkin, cauliflower and butternut squash are all good substitutions.
- Spices. I always have Garam Masala and a variety of spices in my kitchen but use any you have. Turmeric, cardamom, coriander, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, black pepper, etc. Curry powder will also work.
- Tomatoes. Fresh/Canned/Puree.
- Coconut milk. If you don’t have coconut milk, you can use heavy or whipping cream too.
Can I make this curry ahead?
Yes, like most curries this one is even better the next day. The cooked curry will last for up to 3 days covered in the fridge.
How to freeze chicken curry
Allow cooked curry to cool completely then transfer to a freezer appropriate container. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature then heat gently in a saucepan until bubbling.
What to serve with chicken potato curry
Easy curry recipes
Easy creamy chicken potato curry
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves crushed/minced
- 2 tsp ginger crushed
- 750 g / 1½lbs Boneless chicken thighs cubed
- 2 large potatoes cubed
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 400 g (14oz) tomato puree (canned tomatoes/tomato passata/tomato sauce will all work)
- 400 g (14oz) coconut milk
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a deep skillet/pan, heat two tablespoons oil/butter/ghee then add the onion. Allow to cook until soft and translucent.
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook until fragrant then add the chicken.
- Allow the chicken to cook until it starts to brown. Add the potatoes and spices and stir to combine.
- Pour in the tomatoes, coconut milk and sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes with the lid ajar until the chicken and potatoes are cooked through.
- Season to taste and serve with your choice of side dishes.