Let’s take a moment to appreciate that with these quesidillas you get the flavours of pizza inside a quesidilla (my best!) with all the goodness of vegetables all in one. Can I get a “Hell Yes!!”?
This is the best way to get anyone who doesn’t like their vegetables to get their 5-a-day in with very little effort. In fact, my kids scoffed 6 wedges each! The great thing with these quesidillas is that you can literally use whatever vegetable you want/have in your fridge. I used zucchini, mushrooms, peppers, spinach and olives (because my kids LOVE them) but corn, peas, onion, eggplant, chopped cauliflower/broccoli, kale, sun-dried tomatoes roasted squash or pumpkin will all be fabulous in this. Add some simple guacamole and store-bought salsa and you add even more vegetables. Your children (and other non-veg-eaters) won’t know what hit them.
Aidan (my son) loves vegetables but there are a few of them he can’t stand. Zucchini, mushrooms (when not in a creamy sauce) and any cooked leaves (so spinach) are on his “hell no”-list. While eating these, I could tell he was concerned with the amount of green and all the mushrooms staring back at him but I convinced him to try a bite and then the confusion set in. He didn’t love the zucchini but I think the pizza-flavours convinced him to carry on eating. And you know what? I’m not even shy about the fact that I’m conning my kids to eat their vegetables. As parents we have to choose our battles and use everything in our arsenal to make things happen and this is one of mine. Later this week I’ll be sharing my Top 5 tips to get your kids to eat their vegetables and spoiler alert: I just gave one away (but stay tuned for the rest).
Anyway. Back to these quesidillas: they make the best after-school lunch and are awesome lunchbox fillers. I think they’re pretty awesome as they are (and great for vegetarians) but if you wanted, you could add some grilled chicken to make them more substantial and to turn them into a pretty fabulous, casual dinner. So, what are you even waiting for? Go gather your vegetables and make this happen!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups vegetables of your choice, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- salt & pepper to taste
- 8 flour tortillas
- 3-4 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- To cook the vegetables, heat a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the olive oil then saute the vegetables until golden brown and cooked through. Add the garlic and oregano then fry for another minute or two.
- Season to taste and remove from the heat. Allow to cool slightly.
- Heat a large frying/griddle pan over high heat.
- Place one tortilla in the pan then top with an ⅛ of the cheese, a ¼ of the vegetables, some of the basil and finish with another ⅛ of the cheese. Top with another tortilla then allow to heat until all the cheese is melted. Press down on the quesidilla a little to ensure everything is glued together by the cheese.
- Carefully flip the quesidilla to crisp up the other tortilla.
- Remove from the pan then continue with the remaining ingredients.
- Slice the quesidillas then serve with the guacamole and salsa.