Crispy fish tacos with hot sauce crema is a delicious, easy meal. It’s as perfect served to guests as a casual dinner as it is for an easy weeknight meal.
These crispy fish tacos are a prime example of an easy peasy recipe which is just perfect served to friends and family to pick at and assemble themselves. Serve all the component in bowls, add ice cold beers and plenty of napkins and you’ll have a casual feast in minutes.
How to make fish tacos
- Prepare the fish: Start by slicing firm, white fish into fingers. Coat them first in seasoned flour, then beaten egg and finally in seasoned bread crumbs. To season the flour, simply combine flour with any seasoning of your choice. Taco seasoning, oregano, chilli powder, salt and pepper are all good options. For optimum crunch, fry the fish in hot vegetable oil until golden brown and cooked through. You can also bake the fish in a very hot oven, turning after 8-10 minutes, until the fish is golden brown on the outside and cooked throughout.
- Assemble the tacos: Combine crema (or crème fraîche if you can’t find crema), hot sauce (I love Valentina or good ol’ Tobasco), salt and a squeeze of lime. Place the crispy fish, shredded purple cabbage, chunks of avocado and thinly sliced chillies onto warmed corn tortillas and drizzle with the crema before serving.
What kind of fish to use for fish tacos
Any firm, white fish will work well for these crispy fish tacos. Hake, Cod, Tilapia, Bass or Snapper are all good options.
What to put on fish tacos
- Shredded cabbage
- Avocado (or guacamole)
- Finely sliced chillies/jalapeños
- Pico de gallo
- Sour cream/Crema
Easy fish recipes
- Easy lemon butter baked fish
- Jamie Oliver’s Fish Pie
- Chunky fish fingers with cheat’s lemon aioli
- White wine garlic salmon
Crispy fish tacos with hot sauce crema
For the crispy fish
- 500 g (approx 1lb) firm white fish sliced into strips/fingers
- 1 cup flour seasoned with 1tsp salt and 1 tsp taco seasoning
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 cups breadcrumbs seasoned with 1tsp salt and 1 tsp taco seasoning
- vegetable oil for frying
For the hot sauce crema
- 1 cup crema/crème fraîche
- 1-2 tbsp hot sauce
- squeeze of lemon juice to taste
- salt to taste
For the tacos
- 8 corn tortillas warmed
- 1-2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 1 avocado cubed
- sliced chillies/ jalapeños
- lime wedges
- Heat oil in a large pot/saucepan.
- While the oil is heating, coat the fish first in the seasoned flour, then in the beaten egg and finally in the seasoned breadcrumbs. You can repeat the egg and breadcrumb step if you want a thicker coating on the fish.
- When the oil is hot, fry the fish in batches for 5-7 minutes until they are crisp and golden.
- Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen paper.
- Make the spicy crema by combining all the ingredients and mixing well.
- To serve, place the fried fish and toppings of your choice onto warmed corn tortillas, drizzle with the crema and serve.