This Greek yogurt banana bread is delicious, moist and easy to make. The perfect way to use up bananas and a great breakfast or snack.
Using Greek yogurt in baked goods is something I do often. The yogurt acts pretty much the same as sour cream does but doesn’t add as much fat or richness as sour cream does. The combination of Greek yogurt and oil in baking results in soft, moist cakes and breads. This easy banana bread recipe is flavored with vanilla and cinnamon and the tang from the Greek yogurt works perfectly with the sweetness from the bananas.
Tips for making Greek yogurt banana bread
- For the best banana bread, use bananas that are over ripe. I often leave mine until they are almost completely black. When bananas are left to over ripen their sugars concentrate and the banana flavor you get it just so much more intense.
- Once the wet ingredients are added to the dry, mix until just combined. Over mixing will cause the gluten in the flour to overdevelop and will make the baked banana bread tough.
Making ahead and freezing
- Make ahead: This banana bread recipe can be made up to 3 days ahead. Keep in an airtight container in the fridge and allow to come to room temperature before serving.
- Freezing instructions: Baked and cooled banana bread can be wrapped in plastic and foil before being frozen for up to 4 months. Allow to thaw completely before serving.
Banana bread recipes
- Brown sugar cinnamon banana bread
- Classic Banana Bread
- Easy healthy banana bread
- Peanut butter swirl banana bread
Greek yogurt banana bread
- 3 large bananas
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark brown sugar (I used Muscavado)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°. Grease and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Mash the bananas into a bowl. Whisk in the yogurt, oil, eggs, vanilla and sugar.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Place in the oven and allow to bake for 45-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before slicing and serving.