This cheesy breakfast casserole with bacon, potato and egg is the easiest make-ahead breakfast and so perfect for feeding a crowd.
How to make a breakfast casserole
Use any fillings of your choice but bacon, potato and cheese is a crowd-pleasing classic and a filling I use time and time again. Start by roasting the potatoes in a hot oven until golden brown and crisp. Cook chopped bacon with finely diced onions until the bacon is crisp then drain any excess fat. Place the roasted potatoes, bacon and onion mixture and half of the cheese into a casserole dish. Top with eggs beaten with milk, cream, salt and pepper. Pour the egg mix over the potatoes and bacon then top with the remaining cheese (I keep some bacon back to add to the top as well but this isn’t necessary). Bake until golden brown and cooked through. Allow the casserole to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Can you reheat breakfast casserole?
Yes, you can. Simply re-heat in a hot oven for 15-20 minutes until warm throughout before serving.
Can you freeze breakfast casseroles?
Bake the casserole and allow to cool completely before covering tightly with foil (baking the casserole directly in a foil container is a good idea) then freeze for up to 2 months. Bake from frozen for 30-40 minutes at 180ºC/350ºF or until hot throughout.
What to serve with breakfast casserole?
For a simple breakfast or brunch, serve the casserole with toast, bagels or croissants. If the casserole forms part of a breakfast/brunch party, the following dishes and sides will work well:
- Bacon corn bread
- Summer fruit salad with lime-mint dressing
- Easy side salad with lemon dressing
- Creamy mushrooms
Cheesy bacon potato breakfast casserole
- 3 large potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 250 g (+-9oz) streaky bacon chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 5 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ¾ cup heavy/whipping cream
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC.
- Toss the potatoes with olive oil and salt and transfer to a baking sheet. Allow to bake until crisp and golden (approximately 30 minutes) then remove from the oven.
- In the meantime, fry the onion and bacon until the bacon is crisp. Add the garlic and cook for another 20 seconds then remove from the heat.
- Place the potatoes, bacon and onion mixture and half of the cheese into a casserole dish.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, cream and seasoning together and pour over the potatoes and bacon. Top with the remaining cheese and place in the oven.
- Allow to bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from the oven, allow to rest for 5-10 minutes then slice and serve.