Grilled eggplant marinated in a spicy garlic and herb marinade is a delicious, gluten-free addition to any antipasto platter or cheese board.
I made a big batch of this marinated eggplant recipe for my birthday dinner a few weeks ago as part of a grazing table I set up. Even though the table was weighed down by glorious cheese, charcuterie and fresh bread, the dish everyone kept talking about was this marinated eggplant. It is truly a joy, intensely flavored with fresh garlic, lemon, herbs and chilli.
I almost always have a large jar in the fridge now and we have it on sandwiches, chopped up in pasta dishes and as a simple lunch with good bread often.
How to make marinated eggplant
Slice eggplant into thin slices and brush with olive oil. Grill in a hot grill pan until soft and caramelized on both sides. Place the grilled eggplant into a large jar or sealable container. Mix olive oil, lemon juice, crushed garlic, finely chopped chillies and dried oregano with a generous pinch of salt and pepper then pour over the grilled eggplant. Seal the jar or container and allow to marinade for at least 6 hours but up to 1-2 weeks.
How long can you marinate eggplant?
Ideally the eggplant should marinate for at least 6 hours to allow the eggplant time to absorb the flavors, however eggplant can be left submerged in the marinade, sealed in the fridge for 1-2 weeks.
How to serve marinated eggplant
- As part of an antipasto platter or cheeseboard.
- On sandwiches with salami, parma ham and cheese.
- In Italian caponata.
- As a pizza topping.
- Drained, chopped in frittatas and pasta dishes.
- Use the marinade as salad dressing.
More antipasto recipe ideas:
- Easy Antipasto wreath with marinated mozzarella.
- Marinated cherry tomatoes with whipped ricotta
- Easy Antipasto platter
Easy marinated eggplant
- 6 medium eggplants thinly sliced
- olive oil for brushing
For the marinade
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 1/3-½ cup fresh lemon juice (amount depends on the acidity of the lemon juice)
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 2-3 tsp red chilli finely chopped
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Brush the slices of eggplant with olive oil then grill in a hot grill pan until softened and caramelized on both sides.
- Place the slices of eggplant into a large jar or sealable container.
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together, adjust seasoning as necessary and pour over the eggplant.
- Seal the jar or container and allow to marinade for at least 6 hours but up to 1-2 weeks in the fridge.