This easy vegetable taco soup recipe is made with accessible and cost effective pantry staples. Add any vegetables you have for a delicoius, healthy meal.
How to make taco soup
Ingredients for taco soup
This vegetarian soup recipe is easily customizable with whatever you have in the fridge, freezer or pantry. Any vegetables can be used and if preferred, you can add ground beef or shredded chicken too.
- Vegetables. Onions, garlic, carrots, peppers, corn, green beans, kale, spinach, cauliflower, mushrooms, tomatoes, zucchini, potatoes, sweet potatoes and butternut squash can all be used.
- Beans/Legumes. Black beans, Cannelini beans, Chickpeas/Garbanzo beans, lentils. Any canned beans will work here.
- Spices. I like using a combination of taco spice, chili powder, paprika and oregano.
- Tomatoes. Using a combination of canned tomatoes and tomato paste gives this soup a rich red color and loads of flavor.
- Stock. Use vegetable, chicken or beef stock. If you don’t have stock, water is a perfectly fine substitute.
- Salt and pepper.
- Chop all the vegetables into small dice. Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and add a few tablespoons of oil. Add the vegetables (except for corn) to the pot and cook, stirring regularly, until they start to soften and become aromatic.
- Add the spices and cook for another few minutes.
- Pour in the tomatoes and stock and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and a pinch of sugar (optional), reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes or until all the vegetables are cooked. Add the corn and beans and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Season to taste and serve.
What to serve with taco soup
This soup is delicious on its own but can be served with any of the following:
- Sour cream
- Grated/Shredded cheese
- Tortilla chips
Meal prep and freezing instructions
- Meal prep: This soup can be made and kept in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freezing instructions: Transfer the cooled soup to freezer proof containers or plastic bags. Freeze for up to 6 months. Thaw at room temperature before reheating in a saucepan.
Vegetarian soup recipes
- Broccoli cheese soup
- Spiced potato carrot soup
- Easy Vegetable soup
- Honey roasted butternut squash soup
Easy vegetable taco soup
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 tsp garlic crushed
- 4 cups vegetables : Peppers, mushrooms, sweet potato, cauliflower, kale, spinach, carrots, celery, green beans, potato, zucchini) (fresh, frozen or canned)
- 2 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 400 g (14oz) chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cups stock / water
- 2 cups corn (fresh, frozen or canned)
- 400 g (14oz) black beans drained
- pinch of sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated cheese
- sour cream
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and add a few tablespoons of oil.
- Add all the vegetables (except for the corn) and cook for a few minutes, stirring regularly, until the vegetables start to soften and become aromatic.
- Add the spices and cook for another minute or two.
- Add the tomatoes, stock a pinch of salt and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, partially cover and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked through.
- Add the beans and corn then simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Season to taste then serve with toppings of your choice.