This incredibly refreshing Paloma cocktail flavored with fresh ginger is my summer cocktail of choice. Not only is it ridiculously easy to throw together, it’s also absolutely delicious.
Table of Contents
What is a Paloma?
A Paloma is a tequila-based cocktail made with grapefruit soda and lime. I prefer using fresh grapefruit juice, not only for its amazing color but also because the flavor just can’t be matched.
The Paloma is genuinely one of the easiest cocktails to make at home. If you have grapefruit juice, tequila and soda water, you’re there. I wanted to amp mine up slightly by adding some fresh ginger and decided to infuse a simple syrup to use to sweeten the drink instead of agave nectar. This alongside the fresh, bitter grapefruit juice created a stunning drink which I would love even without the tequila. In fact, keeping a jug of the grapefruit/ginger mixture in your fridge to mix with soda water makes for the perfect variation of classic lemonade.
- Tequila. Use a good quality Reposado tequila for this cocktail. You could use Blanco tequila as well. My favourite is Herradura.
- Fresh grapefruit. I squeezed my own fresh juice but you could use store-bought grapefruit juice too.
- Fresh lime juice. Lemon can be substituted.
- Club soda/soda water.
- Ice, to serve.
- For the ginger syrup: The ginger syrup is optional but adds such great flavor to the finished cocktail. All you need for it is sugar, water and fresh ginger. If you prefer to omit the ginger syrup, add a squirt of agave or sweetener of your choice to taste.
How to make a Paloma
- Make the ginger syrup: Combine equal parts water and sugar in a small saucepan then add sliced ginger. Place over medium-high heat and allow to come to a simmer. Simmer until the sugar has dissolved then remove from the heat and allow to cool completely. The syrup can be made and stored in an airtight jar in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
- Make the Paloma cocktail: In a cocktail shaker, combine the tequila, lime juice, grapefruit juice a splash of ginger syrup and ice then give the mixture a good shake.
- Serve: Add ice to serving glasses then pour the paloma mixture over the ice. Garnish with lemon or lime wedges and serve. Feel free to salt the rim of the glasses if you prefer.
Fresh grapefruit and ginger Paloma
for the ginger syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 5 cm piece fresh ginger sliced
for the Paloma
- 500 ml fresh grapefruit juice
- 100 ml fresh lemon/lime juice
- 100 ml tequila or more...
- 300-500 ml soda water to taste
- fresh lemon/lime slices
- ice cubes
- To make the syrup, combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan. Place over medium heat and allow to heat until the sugar has dissolved. Turn up the heat and allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat then allow to cool completely.
- To make the paloma, combine the grapefruit juice and tequila in a jug then pour in some of the ginger syrup. Taste as you go to ensure it doesn't get too sweet. Top up with soda water, to taste, then serve in glasses with ice and lemon/lime slices.