We love these grilled shrimp skewers with jalapeño cajun butter as an easy appetizer or quick main dish. Perfect for grilling season and that butter just steals the show.
Table of Contents
For the grilled shrimp skewers
- Shrimp/prawns. I used peeled and deveined large shrimp. Frozen shrimp are perfectly fine to use, allow to thaw completely before marinating.
- Olive oil.
- Cajun spice/Cajun seasoning.
- Salt and black pepper.
For the jalapeño cajun butter
- Fresh garlic cloves.
- Fresh jalapeño peppers.
- Cajun seasoning.
- Fresh lemon juice.
How to grill shrimp skewers
Place the peeled shrimp in a large bowl then drizzle over the olive oil and add all the seasonings. Toss to coat the shrimp then thread 4 marinated shrimp onto wooden skewers (remember to soak the skewers to prevent them from catching on fire no the grill). Grill the shrimp in a hot grill pan on the stovetop or charcoal grill for 1-2 minutes per side until the shrimp are cooked through and opaque.
To make the butter, heat a pan or saucepan over medium high heat then add the butter. Allow to melt then add the garlic, chopped jalapeño, seasoning and lemon juice and cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Scatter over fresh herbs (cilantro or fresh parsley both works well) then serve the shrimp with the jalapeño butter for dipping.
Can I make this ahead?
The shrimp can be marinated and kept in the fridge overnight. Any leftovers can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat the butter in the microwave oven before serving.
What to serve with grilled shrimp skewers
These skewers are delicious as a summer appetizer but make a healthy main dish (gluten free and keto friendly!) and can be served with rice, grilled veggies like asparagus, zucchini or broccoli and salads for a full meal.
Easy shrimp recipes
Grilled Shrimp Skewers with Jalapeño Cajun Butter
- 800 g (1½lb) peeled shrimp deveined
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
for the jalapeño cajun butter
- ½ cup butter
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper finely chopped
- 2 tsp cajun seasoning
- lemon juice to taste
- salt to taste
- Place bamboo skewers in boiling water and allow to soak for at least 30 minutes.
- Place the shrimp in a medium bowl then drizzle over the olive oil and add the cajun seasoning and salt.
- Toss to coat the shrimp then thread 4 marinated shrimp onto soaked bamboo skewers.
- Grill the shrimp in a hot grill pan or outdoor grill for 1-2 minutes per side until the shrimp are cooked through.
- To make the butter, heat a pan or saucepan over medium high heat then add the butter.
- Allow to melt then add the garlic, chopped jalapeño, seasoning and lemon juice and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Serve the shrimp with the jalapeño butter for dipping.