This healthyish pumpkin bread is packed to the brim with fresh pumpkin puree and warming spices making it the perfect easy breakfast or treat.
Pumpkin bread is the perfect recipe for you if you a) love banana bread or b) hate banana bread. It’s got a similar vibe but has none of the banana flavor, duh. I love that the pumpkin results in a moist and delicious bread. The spices used adds warmth and flavor without being too “pumpkin-spice-y”. If you know what I mean. It’s just aromatic and delicious and PERFECT served with honey butter. I’m having a bit of a honey butter moment right now. The sweetened butter is the perfect accompaniment to muffins and quick-breads and on this pumpkin bread, it’s magic!
How to make pumpkin bread
- I love using fresh pumpkin puree but you can definitely use canned instead. Steam or boil chunks of pumpkin in salted water until soft then drain and mash.
- Whisk the pumpkin with oil (use canola, coconut or any other neutral oil), eggs, unrefined sugar, plain yogurt and vanilla.
- I like using a combination of white flour and oat flour but feel free to use wholewheat flour or gluten free flour if you prefer. Stir the flours together with baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ground ginger and ground cardamom.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until smooth then pour into a lined loaf pan. Bake the bread for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before slicing and serving.
Freezing and storing
- To freeze: Wrap the baked and cooled bread in a layer of plastic wrap and then two layers of fall. Freeze for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw completely at room temperature before serving.
- Storing: Keep the bread covered at room temperature for up to 3 days. Kept covered in the fridge, it will last up to 5 days.
Quick bread recipes
- Easy healthy zucchini bread
- Brown sugar cinnamon banana bread
- Easy cheesy corn beer bread
- Cheese and herb Irish soda bread
- Cinnamon brown sugar pumpkin muffins
- Pumpkin carrot cake with cream cheese frosting
- My gran’s pumpkin fritters
- Pumpkin risotto with haloumi
Healthyish Pumpkin Bread
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup unrefined sugar (brown/coconut)
- 1½ cups flour
- ¾ cup oat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the pumpkin, eggs, yogurt, oil, vanilla and sugar.
- Add the flours, baking powder, salt and spices. Stir until well combined and smooth.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
- Place in the oven and allow to bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before serving.