This “roast” Air fryer chicken is perfectly golden and juicy, seasoned with fresh lemon and aromatic Za’atar. A tasty, easy family dinner.
Full recipe with amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Whole chicken.
- Olive oil.
- Lemon zest + juice.
- Za’atar. Za’atar is a spice blend made of oregano/marjoram, sumac and sesame seeds.
- Garlic. Garlic powder can be substituted.
- Chilli flakes.
- Salt and pepper.
How to cook a whole chicken in an Air Fryer
- Season the chicken: Mix the olive oil, lemon juice and zest, garlic and spices together. Transfer one third of the mixture to a separate bowl for basting. Brush the seasoned oil over the chicken, making sure to cover the entire chicken with the mix.
- Cook in the Air Fryer: Preheat the air fryer to 160ºC/320ºF. Place the chicken, breast-side down, into the Air Fryer basket and cook for 20 mins. Flip over then brush with the reserved marinade. Cook for 10-20 minutes at 180ºC/350ºF. Check the doneness of the chicken after 10 minutes. Depending on the size of your chicken, it might be cooked and won’t need the full 10 minutes at 180. Turn the temperature up to 200°C/390°F and cook for another 5-10 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Remove the chicken from the air fryer and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes then carve and serve.
- Note about my Air Fryer: I use the Instant Vortex air fryer. I have used other brands and this one is by far the best I’ve used. The temperature range is impressive and the Vortex offers much more functionality. Including roasting, air frying, baking and reheating. It’s also much lighter and less bulky than other models with less parts so clean up is a breeze!
How do I know when chicken is cooked?
A whole chicken is cooked when the juice runs clear when you cut between the drumstick and the breast. As long as the meat is opaque and white to the bone (it’s fine if it’s got a very slight blush to it but shouldn’t be pink or have juices with any color) it is cooked. The meat should read 73ºC/165ºF on a meat thermometer, however keep in mind that the chicken will continue cooking as it rests so remove it from the heat when it reaches 65ºC/150ºF and allow to rest until it reaches the “done” temperature.
What to serve with air fryer chicken?
- Easy cucumber radish salad
- Bacon Fat Crispy Smashed Baby Potatoes
- 10-minute lemon garlic sautéed broccolini
- Easy focaccia bread
Roast chicken recipes
Lemon Za'atar Air fryer chicken
- 1.2 kg (2½lb) whole chicken
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp za'atar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Mix the olive oil, lemon juice and zest, garlic and spices together.
- Transfer one third of the mixture to a separate bowl for basting.
- Brush the seasoned oil over the chicken, making sure to cover the entire chicken with the mix.
- Preheat the air fryer to 160ºC/320ºF.
- Place the chicken, breast-side down, into the Air Fryer basket and cook for 20 mins.
- Flip over then brush with the reserved marinade. Cook for 10-20 minutes at 180ºC/350ºF. Turn the temperature up to 200°C/390°F and cook for another 5-10 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- If the chicken isn't fully cooked yet, cook for another 10-20 minutes, checking the temperature with a meat thermometer every 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the air fryer and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes then carve and serve.
I am partnered with Instant Pot to bring you delicious recipes. All images, words and thoughts are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands who support Simply Delicious.
I have never cooked an entire chicken before. But decided to use this recipe since I have so much za’atar from Palestine and in a spice shop in NYC that I bought.
Used an exact 2.5lb and followed the recipe exactly but sprinkled in some more sumac to the mix and lemon pepper salt instead of regular salt.
Followed directions and air fried it and it came out so so so so juicy moist abd delicious! Thank you!
So glad to hear that!