If you’re in South Africa, you’ll know that there’s only but a few weeks left before Summer holidays arrive and you have to entertain your kids for just over a month. This is usually not a problem for us as we head to the coast as soon as that school bell rings and children are much happier at the beach. Happier, and hungrier. Like eat-four-hot-dogs-in-one-sitting hungrier. That’s why I like to take a few tried and trusted recipes down with me to make meal and snack times fuss-free and delicious.
These crumbed chicken rolls with quick-pickled cucumber is just the recipe to make on hot days. I like to make large platters full and leave them on the table for the kids to snack on as they go. You could also add slices of tomato or cheese for extra texture and flavour but I think they’re perfect as is. A little mayo, some lettuce, the crisp chicken and a generous spoonful of quick-pickled cucumber. What could be better?
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 250ml (1 cup) flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 packets Knorr Crispy & Tasty Chicken Coating
- 250ml (1 cup) sunflower oil, for frying
- half an English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 250ml (1 cup) white vinegar
- 15ml (1 Tbsp) sugar
- 15ml (1 Tbsp) salt
- 4 soft rolls, warmed in the oven
- First make the pickled cucumber. Place the cucumber slices in a bowl.
- Heat the vinegar, sugar and salt in a microwaveable bowl/jug for 1 minute.
- Pour the hot vinegar over the cucumber and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Halve the chicken breasts horizontally so you have two thin fillets of chicken for each breast. Flatten the fillets slightly with a rolling pin or meat mallet.
- Place the flour, eggs and crumb coating in three separate bowls.
- Coat the chicken fillets first in the flour, then in the egg and finally in the crumb coating.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Fry the chicken until golden brown and cooked through on both sides.
- To serve, halve the rolls and add lettuce leaves and mayonnaise to each one.
- Add the chicken and the pickled cucumber.
- Serve immediately.