This masala baked fish recipe is delicious, light and healthy and perfect served for dinner with turmeric-scented rice and a quick and easy chopped salad.
- Extra-virgin olive oil.
- Garam Masala.
- Curry spice blend/curry powder. I used a store-bought blend that I use often but you can use any Indian spices of your choice or just use another teaspoon of Garam Masala.
- Fresh lemon juice.
- Fresh garlic cloves.
- Salt and black pepper.
- Fish fillets. I used hake but any flaky white fish will work well. Halibut, Cod, Sea Bass, Grouper, Snapper, Tilapia, etc. You could also use a whole fish fillet or side of fish. Meatier/oilier fish like tuna, salmon, swordfish steaks or mackerel can also be used but I like the delicateness of the white fish.
- For the turmeric rice: I just cooked long grain rice like I always do but added a half teaspoon of turmeric.
How to bake fish
- Make the masala mix: Combine olive oil, a generous squeeze of lemon juice, minced garlic and all the spices together in a small bowl.
- Bake the fish: Place fish on a baking sheet or baking dish lined with parchment paper, skin-side down. Pat the fish dry with paper towels then spoon over the masala mixture, spreading to coat the fish completely. Place the fish in a preheated oven and allow to bake for 10-12 minutes until the fish is cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for a few minutes then serve with side dishes of your choice.
How long to bake fish
Depending on the thickness of your fish filets, it shouldn’t take longer than 10-15 minutes in a 200ºC/390ºF oven. You’ll know it’s cooked when the fish flakes easily and the flesh is opaque and throughout. The fish will also feel tender when a fork is inserted.
What to serve with baked fish
I love serving this spiced fish with turmeric rice or curry rice, chopped salad of cucumber, tomato and red onion for the perfect light, healthy but filling dinner. Naan bread, steamed greens like broccoli or green beans or a simple salad are all good side dishes. The fish is really juicy so a sauce isn’t necessary but I do love serving it with lime wedges and a dollop of thick yogurt.
Baked fish recipes
Masala baked fish
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 800 g (1½lb) fish fillets
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/390°F.
- Combine olive oil, a generous squeeze of lemon juice, minced garlic, Garlic Masala, curry powder, salt and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Line a baking sheet or baking dish with parchment paper.
- Add the fish, skin-side down.
- Pat the fish dry with paper towels then spoon over the masala mixture, spreading to coat the fish completely.
- Place the fish in the oven and allow to bake for 10-12 minutes until the fish is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for a few minutes then serve with side dishes of your choice.