Creamy broccoli cheddar chicken is an easy and delicious dinner recipe. Seared chicken breasts cooked in creamy cheddar sauce is perfect served over rice.
How to make broccoli cheddar chicken
- Chicken: To ensure quick-cooking, I like to thin out the chicken breasts just slightly. Place the chicken on a cutting board, cover with a sheet of parchment paper and flatten with a meat mallet or rolling pin. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Brown the chicken in a hot skillet or deep pan until golden brown on both sides and cooked through. Remove and set aside while you make the sauce.
- Sauce and broccoli: In the same pan, fry finely diced onion and garlic until fragrant. Add herbs of your choice. I like using oregano, thyme or sage. Add chicken stock, cream, lemon juice and season to taste. Bring to a simmer then add the broccoli. At this point, I cover the pan and allow the broccoli to cook for 3-5 minutes or until the stems can easily be pierced by a sharp knife. Reduce the heat and add the grated cheddar cheese. Allow the cheese to melt, stirring to make sure the cheese melts into the sauce evenly. Add the chicken back into the pan, spoon over the sauce and serve.
Storing and freezing instructions
- Storing: The cooked chicken will last in the fridge for up to 3 days if stored in an airtight container.
- Freezing: Allow the cooked chicken to cool completely then transfer to a freezer-safe container. Freeze for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw completely then gently heat in a saucepan. Because of the cheese in the sauce, the sauce might split but the taste will still be good.
What to serve with broccoli cheddar chicken
Easy chicken breast recipes
- Lemon herb chicken breasts
- Caprese stuffed chicken breasts
- Easy creamy mushroom chicken
- Chicken breasts with olive, tomato and caper dressing
Easy broccoli cheddar chicken
- 4 large chicken breasts (boneless + skinless)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
For the sauce
- 1 onion finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy / whipping cream
- 2 tsp lemon juice (or to taste)
- 3 cups broccoli florets larger florets, halved
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place a sheet of parchment paper over chicken breasts then gently flatten to 1cm/0.4 inch thick, with a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Brown the chicken in a large skillet or deep frying pan. Cook until golden brown on both sides and cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant then add the herbs. Cook for another minute.
- Pour in the stock, cream and lemon juice and bring to a simmer. Add the broccoli, cover and allow to cook for 3-5 minutes or until the broccoli stems are just tender. Check by piercing them with a sharp knife.
- Reduce the heat, add the cheese and allow to melt while stirring. Add the chicken back into the pan, spoon over the sauce, season to taste and serve.
- If you prefer the sauce to be thicker, whisk 2 teaspoons corn starch / cornflour with a few tablespoons of water and add to the sauce when the broccoli is cooked. Allow to thicken then add the cheese to melt.