This easy chicken chickpea curry recipe is great for weeknight dinners and is a great way to use up the cans of chickpeas in your pantry. Protein-packed and absolutely delicious, your family will love it.
- Oil/butter. Olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, etc.
- Chicken thighs. I used skinless, bone-in chicken thighs. Any chicken pieces of your choice will work. If using chicken breasts, the cooking time will need to be reduced.
- Fresh garlic cloves.
- Fresh ginger.
- Spices: Garam Masala, paprika, cinnamon, chilli flakes. Other spices like curry powder, turmeric, ground cardamom, coriander and ground cumin can also be used.
- Chopped tomatoes.
- Chicken stock/chicken broth.
- Chickpeas/garbanzo beans.
- Heavy cream. Coconut milk can be substituted.
- Salt and black pepper.
How to make chicken chickpea curry
Heat a splash of oil or butter in a large, deep pan or skillet set over medium-high heat then add the chicken and brown on both sides. Remove the chicken and set aside then add the onion, garlic and ginger to the pan and cook for a few minutes until fragrant. Stir in all of the spices, tomatoes and chicken stock. Add the sugar and add the chicken and chickpeas to the pot. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 15 minutes then pour in the cream and season with salt and pepper. Cook for another 15 minutes then serve.
Can I make this ahead?
Chicken curry is a great make-ahead dish – the flavors continue developing and it’s often better the next day. Allow the cooked curry to cool completely then store in the fridge overnight. Leftovers can be kept in an airtight container for up to 2 days. The curry can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw and reheat before serving.
What to serve with chicken chickpea curry
- Curry Rice/basmati rice.
- Cucumber salad.
Chicken curry recipes
Easy chicken chickpea curry
- 8 chicken thighs bone in, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large onions finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 5 cm piece fresh ginger grated
- 2 tablespoons Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 800 g (28oz) chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons sugar optional
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 800 g (28oz) chickpeas drained
- 1 cup cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh coriander chopped, to serve
- Heat a large, deep pan over high heat and add a splash of oil to the pan.
- Brown the chicken all over then remove and set aside.
- Add the onions to the pot and allow to soften for 5 minutes then add the ginger, garlic and spices.
- Add another splash of oil if the mixture is too dry and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken and chickpeas back to the pan then pour in the tomatoes, chicken stock and sugar.
- Turn the heat down and allow to simmer for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- After 15 minutes, add the cream and season to taste then allow to simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle over the chopped coriander and serve with the rice.
Leave a Reply