This black bean salad with grilled corn, creamy avocado, peppers, tomatoes and feta cheese is a delicious side dish that takes minutes to make.
Full recipe + amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Black beans. I use canned but you could cook your own if you prefer.
- Corn on the cob. You could use frozen and thawed corn too.
- Red pepper.
- Feta cheese.
- Red onion.
- Lime juice.
- Salt and pepper.
How to make black bean salad
- Heat the beans (optional): Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan then add the drained and rinsed beans. This is completely optional but I prefer the taste and texture of the beans once they’ve been heated. I like to season them with salt, pepper and a little garlic powder while they are heating. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Prepare the vegetables: Start by grilling the corn. You can do this on an outdoor grill (a great option if this salad is a side dish to a grilled main dish) or on a griddle/grill pan. Brush the corn with olive oil then place on a hot grill and cook for 10-15 minutes, turning regularly until the corn is charred on all sides. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly then slice the kernels off the cob. Chop the vegetables into small cubes and place into a large bowl. Add the beans and feta cheese.
- Finish the salad with dressing: You could use pretty much any dressing for this salad but I prefer drizzling over a little olive oil and then adding lots of fresh lime juice. Season generously with salt and pepper and allow the salad to stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Can I make this salad ahead?
Absolutely. You can make this salad up to a day in advance. Keep it covered in the fridge and only add the avocado and dressing once you are ready to serve.
What to serve with black bean salad
Easy salad recipes
- Easy tomato salad
- Marinated zucchini salad
- Corn and grilled zucchini salad
- Cucumber, tomato and red onion salad
Grilled corn avocado black bean salad
- 400 g (14oz) black beans drained and rinsed
- 4 ears fresh corn
- 1 red pepper seeded
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1-2 avocados
- 1-2 jalapeños
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbled
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 limes juiced
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Brush the corn with olive oil then grill for 10-15 minutes, turning regularly, until the corn is golden brown and caramelized on all sides. Remove and allow to cool slightly before slicing the kernels off the cob.
- Optional: Fry the beans in a splash of oil in a large pan for 2-3 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Chop the vegetables into small dice then add to a large bowl.
- Add the grilled corn, beans and feta cheese.
- Add the dressing ingredients then toss to mix.
- Allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving.