This easy chickpea curry is healthy and delicious. Made with only 10 ingredients, most of which are pantry staples, this is the perfect comforting dinner.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to make creamy chickpea curry
- 2 What can I add to this curry?
- 3 What to serve with chickpea curry
- 4 Easy curry recipes
- 5 Easy creamy tomato chickpea curry
How to make creamy chickpea curry
- Garlic + Ginger. Use fresh or ground/dried if that’s all you have.
- Garam Masala. Use any curry spice blend you have.
- Chopped tomatoes.
- Coconut milk.
- Pinch of sugar. (optional)
- Salt and pepper.
- Make the curry sauce: Saute the onion, garlic and ginger in a few tablespoons of oil/ghee/butter until soft and fragrant. Add the spices and cook until the pan is dry, stirring regularly. Stir in the tomatoes, coconut milk, sugar, salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Cook the curry: Drain the chickpeas then stir into the curry sauce. Reduce the heat and allow to cook for 10-15 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly and the chickpeas are soft and creamy. Season to taste then serve with rice or your side dish of choice.
What can I add to this curry?
- Chicken: Cubed chicken breast or chicken thigh meat can be added to this curry. Brown the chicken before adding the tomatoes and coconut milk and cook with the chickpeas until the chicken is cooked through.
- Root vegetables: Sweet potato, potato, carrots, etc. can all be added in addition to the chickpeas.
- Other vegetables: To bulk this curry and add even more health benefits, add vegetables like cauliflower, kale, spinach and frozen peas.
What to serve with chickpea curry
Easy curry recipes
Easy creamy tomato chickpea curry
This easy chickpea curry is healthy and delicious. Made with only 10 ingredients, most of which are pantry staples, this is the perfect comforting dinner.Print Pin Rate
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 tsp garlic crushed
- 1 tsp ginger crushed
- 2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 cans chickpeas drained (I used 400g/14oz cans)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (400g/14oz)
- 1 can coconut milk (400g/14oz)
- pinch of sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
Optional extras : These ingredients can be in addition to chickpeas to bulk the curry even more or used in place of some of the chickpeas.
- 2 cups Sweet potatoes cubed
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 3-4 cups Kale/Spinach
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups chopped chicken
- Preheat a large, deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Add 1-2 tablespoons oil/ghee/butter.
- Add the onions, garlic and ginger and cook gently, stirring regularly, until the onions start to soften and the mixture is fragrant.
- Add the spices and cook until the pan is dry.
- Add the tomatoes, coconut milk and sugar. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer then add the drained chickpeas. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes until the chickpeas are soft and creamy.
- Adjust seasoning then serve with rice or your side dish of choice.
Calories: 321kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Sodium: 233mg | Potassium: 605mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 434IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 101mg | Iron: 5mg