Spiced-butter shredded chicken tacos with corn salsa and avocado is the perfect easy recipe for weekend feasting and for feeding a crowd.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to make shredded chicken tacos
- 2 How to season chicken tacos
- 3 What is the best way to shred chicken breast?
- 4 Chicken taco toppings
- 5 Shredded chicken tacos with corn salsa
- 6 Crispy fish tacos with hot sauce crema
- 7 Bourbon-Basted Double Cheeseburger
How to make shredded chicken tacos
Melt butter in a hot pan and add spices. Allow to cook for 30 seconds-1 minute until fragrant then pour over the shredded cooked chicken. Make the corn salsa by toasting corn in a hot pan until golden brown then combine with finely chopped tomato, red onion, chilli and fresh coriander/cilantro. Serve the shredded chicken and corn salsa in warmed tortillas with chopped avocado.
How to season chicken tacos
Most taco seasonings will work well but if you want to add even more flavor, combine ground cumin and coriander with chilli/red pepper flakes or chilli powder, oregano, a pinch of cinnamon and paprika. Garlic and onion powder are also good additions.
What is the best way to shred chicken breast?
Shredding chicken breast in the bowl of a stand mixer is the easiest way to shred chicken. Alternatively, allow the chicken to cool then shred with your hands or use two forks.
Chicken taco toppings
Shredded chicken tacos with corn salsa
For the corn salsa
- 4 cups corn kernels (if using frozen, thaw in hot water and drain)
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers finely chopped (remove seeds if you want a milder salsa)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro/coriander finely chopped
- lime juice to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
For the shredded chicken
- 4 large chicken breasts (skinless, de-boned)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½-1 tsp chilli powder
- pinch of cinnamon
- 2 tsp lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
For the tacos
- corn tortillas Heated
- avocado chopped
- fresh cilantro/coriander
- lime wedges
- To make the salsa, fry the corn in a hot pan until golden brown and cooked through. Place in a large bowl and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Poach the chicken in salted water for 7-10 minutes until cooked through. Shred the cooked chicken and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the garlic and spices. Allow to cook until fragrant then pour over the shredded chicken. Add lime juice, salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
- To finish the salsa, add the red onion, tomato and aromatics then mix well.
- Serve the chicken and salsa with tortillas and avocado and garnish with cilantro/coriander and finish with lime juice.