Easy mushroom and goat’s cheese scrambled eggs
Listen, today’s recipe is not about fancy techniques or ingredients used in unique ways. It’s not about long, slow cooking or about beautiful presentation. It’s about fast, healthy and easy food cooked in under 10 minutes but delivering big on flavor, nutrition and all that other good stuff. And sometimes that’s necessary, you know? Sometimes you just need something delicious and healthy to eat, right.now! Lately, that’s all breakfast has been for me. I’m not hungry most of the morning (my first cup of coffee and a few sips of the kids’ breakfast smoothies tides me over) but then hunger strikes and I want something NOW! Most often I land up eating some avo and a cheat’s poached egg on toast but sometimes you want something different and that’s where the beauty that is scrambled eggs comes in.
Scrambled eggs are my ultimate fast food. Plain, simply scrambled they are delicious. But add some vegetables and cheese and you have a winner. I’ve scrambled eggs with everything from peppers and spinach, to artichokes and cauliflower. It’s the perfect vehicle for flavor and then you add some sharp cheddar or creamy goat’s cheese and you’ve elevated this breakfast staple to new heights. Because let’s face it, you might need food quickly but you still want it to taste good and this delivers on all fronts. The mushrooms, quickly fried with a little garlic works so beautifully with the creamy, tangy goat’s cheese and makes this such a filling, substantial breakfast. Or fuss-free lunch. Or lazy dinner. No judgies.
- 250g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 5 extra-large, free-range eggs
- 1 tablespoon cream (alternatively, use milk)
- 2 tablespoons soft goat's cheese, crumbled
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh parsley, to serve (optional)
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat then fry the mushrooms and garlic in a splash of oil until golden brown and cooked.
- Whisk the eggs with the cream/milk and season to taste.
- Pour the eggs into the pan with the mushrooms then cook to your preference.
- Add the crumbled goat's cheese and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve immediately topped with parsley.