Croque Madame is a French classic for a reason. It’s the ultimate ham and cheese sandwich topped with bechamel and a soft fried egg. What’s not to love?
This easy French sandwich is the kind of recipe that requires a little more effort but oh man, is it worth it! There is no sandwich simpler than the humble ham and cheese. But then the French took it up a notch by making it even more glorious. Topping the sandwich with a generous spoonful of creamy bechamel sauce turns a simple sandwich into a masterpiece and then you add a soft fried egg and you have happiness.
Because it is such a simple sandwich it’s important you use the very best ingredients you can afford. Good, crusty bread (baguette or sourdough ideally but ciabatta will also work), good ham (I used Gypsy ham) and nutty Gruyere cheese are all necessary. That’s what takes this from average to awesome. Then you top it with that egg and you cut through it, allowing the soft egg yolk to lend its creaminess to the rest of the sandwich and ohmygosh. Are you drooling on your keyboard yet? Yep, me too.
What is in a croque madame?
Croque Madame is a simple ham and cheese sandwich topped with creamy bechamel sauce and a fried egg.
What is the difference between a croque monsieur and a croque madame?
The difference is that ‘n Croque Madame has a fried egg on top whereas a Croque Monsieur doesn’t.
Breakfast sandwich recipes
- Egg in a hole bacon grilled cheese
- Make-ahead freezer breakfast sandwiches
- Bacon, egg and creamed spinach breakfast toast
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1-1.5 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and white pepper to taste
- 8 slices bread toasted
- 12 slices ham I used Gypsy ham
- 2 cups grated Gruyere cheese
- 4 eggs fried to your preference
- Pre-heat the grill of the oven.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter then whisk in the flour to make a roux.
- Slowly pour in the milk while continuously whisking to create a smooth, rich sauce.
- Turn down the heat and allow to cook gently, whilst stirring, until the sauce is cooked through.
- Add the mustard and season to taste.
- Assemble the sandwiches by dividing the ham and cheese between 4 slices. Place in the oven, allowing the cheese to melt then top with the remaining slices of bread and a generous spoonful of bechamel sauce before returning to the oven.
- Allow to grill until golden brown then remove from the oven and top with the fried eggs.
- Serve immediately.