Juicy Hawaiian chicken skewers with pineapple, onion and red pepper are perfect for summer entertaining. Marinated and glazed with a sweet, sticky sauce, it’s a recipe the whole family will love.
Full recipe + amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Tomato ketchup.
- Sweet chilli sauce.
- Soy sauce. Use Tamari or Coconut Aminos if you are gluten free.
- Chicken thighs. Boneless, skinless chicken thighs are best here because they stay juicy. Chicken breasts can also be used.
- Pineapple. I used fresh pineapple but canned will also work.
- Bell pepper.
- Red onion.
How to cook Hawaiian chicken skewers
- Make the marinade: Combine ketchup, sweet chilli sauce, soy sauce, garlic and ginger. Mix well and reserve one third of the marinade. Pour the rest over cubed boneless, skinless chicken thighs and allow to marinade for at least 30 minutes but up to 24 hours, covered in the fridge.
- To make the skewers: Soak bamboo skewers in boiling water for 10 minutes (or use metal skewers) then thread on the chicken, onion, pineapple and bell pepper. Brush with marinade left in the marinating bowl.
- Grill the skewers: Preheat your grill/braai/barbecue for 10 minutes then add the chicken skewers. Cook for 10-15 minutes, glazing with the reserved marinade, until the skewers are caramelized and glossy and the chicken is cooked through. Alternatively you can use a griddle pan as well.
Can I make this ahead?
Yes! The chicken can be marinated up to a day in advance and the skewers can be assembled and stored in the fridge for a day too. Leftover skewers can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days.
What to serve with chicken skewers
- Guacamole salad
- Easy tomato feta green bean salad
- Easy flatbread
- Mini Hasselback potatoes with sour cream dip
Hawaiian chicken skewers
For the marinade
- 1½ cups ketchup
- ¾ cup sweet chilli sauce
- 1/3 cup soy sauce / tamari sauce
- 2 tsp crushed garlic
- 2 tsp finely minced/crushed ginger
- 1-2 tsp salt
For the skewers
- 750 g (+- 1½lbs) chicken thighs skinless, boneless
- 1 pineapple peeled, cored and cubed into 2-3cm chunks
- 2 red bell peppers seeded and cubed into 2-3cm chunks
- 1 red onion cubed into 2-3cm chunks
- To make the marinade, combine all the ingredients and mix well.
- Reserve one third of the marinade and pour the remaining marinade over the chicken thighs. Cover and allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes but up to 24 hours in the fridge.
- To make the skewers, soak bamboo skewers in boiling water for 10 minutes (or alternatively use metal skewers).
- Thread the chicken, pineapple, onion and pepper onto the skewers then brush with the marinade that is left in the bowl the chicken was marinating in.
- Pre-heat an outdoor grill or a grill pan on a stove and cook the skewers until golden brown and starting to caramelize on all sides and until the chicken is cooked through (approximately 10-15 minutes). Glaze with the reserved marinade while cooking.
- Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.