Juicy Hawaiian chicken skewers with pineapple, onion and red pepper are perfect for summer entertaining. Marinated and glazed with a sweet, sticky sauce, it’s a recipe the whole family will love.
This is the kind of recipe kids lose their minds over. Well, kids and all adults I’ve served these to, tbh. The sweet, sticky marinade used as a glaze once the skewers are cooking caramelizes and along with the pineapple, make these skewers SO insanely delicious. They are guaranteed to be a hit at your next summer gathering.
How to cook Hawaiian chicken skewers
Make the marinade by combining ketchup, sweet chilli sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, garlic and ginger. Mix well and reserve one third of the marinade. Pour the rest over cubed boneless, skinless chicken thighs and allow to marinade for at least 30 minutes but up to 24 hours, covered in the fridge.
To make the skewers, soak bamboo skewers in boiling water for 10 minutes (or use metal skewers) then thread on the chicken, onion, pineapple and bell pepper. Brush with marinade left in the bowl the chicken was in then grill in a hot grill pan or on an outdoor grill for 10-15 minutes, glazing with the reserved marinade, until the skewers are caramelized and glossy and the chicken is cooked through.
What to serve with Hawaiian chicken skewers
- Almond lemon pilaf rice
- Easy side salad with lemon dressing
- Spicy garlic potato wedges
- Summer grilled corn salad
- Creamy curried macaroni salad
Hawaiian chicken skewers
For the marinade
- 1½ cups ketchup
- ¾ cup sweet chilli sauce
- 1/3 cup soy sauce / tamari sauce
- 2 tsp crushed garlic
- 2 tsp finely minced/crushed ginger
- 1-2 tsp salt
For the skewers
- 750 g (+- 1½lbs) chicken thighs skinless, boneless
- 1 pineapple peeled, cored and cubed into 2-3cm chunks
- 2 red bell peppers seeded and cubed into 2-3cm chunks
- 1 red onion cubed into 2-3cm chunks
- To make the marinade, combine all the ingredients and mix well.
- Reserve one third of the marinade and pour the remaining marinade over the chicken thighs. Cover and allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes but up to 24 hours in the fridge.
- To make the skewers, soak bamboo skewers in boiling water for 10 minutes (or alternatively use metal skewers).
- Thread the chicken, pineapple, onion and pepper onto the skewers then brush with the marinade that is left in the bowl the chicken was marinating in.
- Pre-heat an outdoor grill or a grill pan on a stove and cook the skewers until golden brown and starting to caramelize on all sides and until the chicken is cooked through (approximately 10-15 minutes). Glaze with the reserved marinade while cooking.
- Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.