Juicy Tandoori chicken baked in the oven is a delicious, easy recipe perfect for dinner served with naan bread, rice and cucumber salad.
This is the perfect recipe to make when you need to feed a crowd. The chicken is a slam dunk. Using boneless chicken thighs means the end result is ridiculously juicy and so perfect served with naan bread and a cooling cucumber salad. I like adding spiced rice too but that’s completely optional. Add bowls of yogurt to add and sprigs of fresh cilantro/coriander. Your guests can assemble their own bowls but make sure to make enough because this stuff is addictive!
How to make Tandoori marinade
The ingredients in Tandoori marinade are:
- Greek yogurt
- Garam Masala
- Chilli powder
- Salt and pepper
- Lemon juice
Combine all the ingredients together in a large bowl and mix well. Add boneless chicken thighs and mix to coat the chicken in the marinade. Cover and allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes but up to 24 hours in the fridge.
How to bake Tandoori chicken
Preheat the oven and the broiler (oven grill) to its hottest temperature. Place marinated chicken, skin-side up, on a wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet. Place the chicken in the oven and allow to bake for 20-30 minutes or until the chicken is starting to char and is cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Can I make this with another cut of chicken?
Yes, you can use bone-in pieces of chicken as well as chicken breast for this recipe. The cooking time will just need to be adjusted.
- Spiced rice (rice cooked with Turmeric or Saffron).
- Homemade naan bread.
- Cucumber salad
- Easy flatbread
- Cucumber, tomato and red onion salad
Tandoori ChickenPrint Pin Rate
- 500 g (1lb) Boneless chicken thighs
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tsp crushed ginger
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
For the cucumber salad
- 1 cucumber sliced
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Combine all the marinade ingredients together and add the chicken.
- Allow to marinade for at least 30 minutes up to 24 hours covered in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/450°F (or as hot as your oven goes) on the broiler/oven grill setting. Line a baking tray with foil and place a wire rack on top.
- Place the chicken on the rack and cook for 20-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and is starting to char.
- To make the cucumber salad, place the cucumber and onion in a mixing bowl. Mix the sinegar, salt, sugar & pepper and pour over the cucumber and onion. Stir everything together and allow to stand for 15-20 mins.
- Serve the Tandoori chicken with naan bread, rice and cucumber salad.