Cheesy jalapeño popper potato skins are a fantastic, easy appetizer or snack and goes particularly well with a couple of ice cold beers.
I have a problem. It’s called “Jalapeño popper addiction”. I can not get enough. I want to eat them everyday and in every possible way. I mean, do you blame me? How can you say no to cheesy, spicy, bacon-y goodness? And where I can, I like to shove jalapeño poppers into other recipes to make them even more awesome, like this incredible jalapeño popper burger. Droooooooool. Amiright?
Then, while I was daydreaming about jalapeño poppers a while ago (as you do), I wondered what else I could do with them. That’s when the idea of jalapeño popper potato skins came to me. Crispy potato skins? Cheese, oozy filling? Bacon??? Let’s face it, we’re talking food dreams galore here. It also helps that this is such a simple recipe and that it is guaranteed to impress. Not only is it the perfect snack to serve with drinks (if you can share), it’s also great served at room temperature which means its a perfect lunchbox filler (just maybe leave out the chillies). I seriously suggest adding all these ingredients to your shopping list because you really, really need these in your life.
- 6 potatoes, baked
- 1 cup plain cream cheese
- 10 strips (approximately 250g) streaky bacon, chopped and fried until crisp
- 1-2 jalapenos, seeds removed (optional) and finely chopped
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- juice of ½ lemon
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°c.
- Halve the baked potatoes and scoop out the flesh (use this to make the fluffiest mash).
- Drizzle the potato skins with olive oil then place on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes until crisp and golden.
- In a bowl, combine all the filling ingredients (reserve some of the bacon to sprinkle on top).
- Fill the potato skins with the filling then sprinkle with the reserved bacon and mozzarella cheese.
- Place the potato skins on a baking sheet then place in the oven.
- Bake the potato skins for 10 minutes until the cheese has melted and the filling is hot throughout.
- remove from the oven and serve.