Every Saturday morning, without fail, I crave a good breakfast. And almost every Saturday morning, without fail, I kick myself for not being more prepared for this craving. I’m always left with only eggs and bread. No bacon or sausages in sight. Which means that we usually dress ourselves in lightning speed and set off to find good breakfast elsewhere. The only issue I have with that is that it seems the whole of Pretoria has the same idea and every good breakfast spot is packed to the rafters with chic-breakfast-eaters with dark glasses, iPhones and skinny jeans. Not exactly toddler-territory. So we settle on a mediocre (at best) fast food-ish type of place and I wash the plastic egg taste away with luke-warm milky cappucino. What a sad scenario.
So I’ve promised that this weekend will be different and so, I am planning on making my family this beautiful breakfast tomorrow morning. Crispy potato rösti stacked with bacon, fried eggs and topped with a deep red tomato and chilli relish. You could of course poach the eggs as well but I’ve found that poaching more than two eggs exhausts me so I prefer to just fry them and get it over with. I love how the yolk, once broken, oozes it’s way down the rösti and bacon, settling into all the little nooks and crannies. Delighful! Serve with fresh orange juice and weekend newspapers for the perfect start to a weekend.
- 8 large tomatoes, sliced into 1cm slices
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 t salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 large potatoes, grated
- ½ onion, grated
- 2 T flour
- 1 t salt
- pepper to taste
- 2 fried eggs
- fried bacon
- To make the relish, pre-heat the oven to 200°c.
- Place all the ingredients for the relish in a small roasting tray and place in the oven. Allow to roast for 20-25 minutes until the tomatoes are cooked and starting to darken around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and break the tomatoes up with a spoon. Place in a container and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- To make the rösti, combine all the ingredients and mix well.
- Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan and fry spoonfuls of the rösti mixture until crisp and golden.
- To serve, stack the cooked rösti with the cooked bacon. Top with a fried egg and serve with the tomato and chilli relish.