This cheesy pasta bake is the perfect place for any leftover ham you might have. A great way to feed a crowd and super delicious to boot. Using a simple béchamel sauce and adding all your favorite cheeses (another great way to get rid of any cheese board leftovers) makes this the perfect comforting family dinner recipe.
The days following Christmas are always a blur, aren’t they? That’s why I choose to have easy recipes like this winner, up my sleeve to throw together in a hurry when the family gets hungry. I love using Christmas leftovers and ham is always something we have loads of after the big feast. A pasta bake is a great way to use up leftovers including vegetables like brussels sprouts and makes feeding a crowd a breeze.
Table of Contents
- Leftover Christmas ham. This dish is great with any leftover meat. Chicken or turkey would be delicious.
- Pasta. Any short pasta shape will work. Rigatoni, Macaroni, Penne, Fusilli, etc.
- Béchamel sauce. You want a simple roux-based white sauce/ cheese sauce made with butter, flour and milk to add creaminess to the pasta.
- Grated cheese. I used a combination of sharp cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. Gruyere, Jack cheese, Swiss cheese or Colby can also be used.
- Garlic powder.
- Fresh sage. Other herbs like rosemary, thyme or fresh parsley can be substituted.
- Salt and black pepper.
- Fresh bread crumbs.
- Optional: Leftover veggies like brussels sprouts, green beans, cauliflower or broccoli will also be delicious. Frozen peas can also be used.
How to make leftover ham pasta bake
- Prepare all the components: Slice any leftover ham into cubes. Make the béchamel sauce according to recipe instructions and grate the cheese.
- Assemble: Combine the cooked pasta with the sauce then stir in the cubed ham, half of the cheese, the garlic powder and chopped sage. Season to taste with salt and pepper then transfer to a casserole or baking dish. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and fresh breadcrumbs.
- Bake: Place in the pasta in a preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and bubbling. Remove from the oven, allow to rest for 10 minutes then serve.
Can I make pasta bake ahead?
This ham pasta bake can be assembled the day before serving, covered and kept in the fridge. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months in a suitable container. I would suggest assembling the pasta in a foil container than can go from the freezer to the oven easily.
Pasta bake recipes
Leftover ham recipes
- Leftover Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich
- Ham and Cheese Puff Pastry pies
- Easy Leftover Ham Breakfast Sandwich
Cheesy leftover ham pasta bake
- 500 g (1lb) pasta
- 2-3 cups leftover ham cubed
- 3 cups Béchamel sauce
- 2-3 cups grated cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh sage finely chopped
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling water until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Slice the leftover ham into cubes.
- Make the béchamel sauce according to recipe instructions and grate the cheese.
- Combine the cooked pasta with the sauce then stir in the cubed ham, half of the cheese, the garlic powder and chopped sage.
- Season with salt and pepper then transfer to a baking dish. Top with the remaining cheese and fresh breadcrumbs.
- Place in the pasta in a preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven, allow to rest for 10 minutes then serve.