Sweet and sticky Teriyaki Chicken in homemade Teriyaki sauce is the perfect easy dinner recipe served with rice and a simple cucumber salad.
I love this easy Teriyaki chicken recipe for those nights when I don’t have much time to get something on the table for dinner. The chicken takes minutes to make because I cut out the marinating and simply cook the chicken with the sauce. Of course marinating has its place but when you need dinner on the table fast, this recipe has got your back.
The sweet and sticky chicken is perfect served with steamed rice and a vegetable side of your choice. Here, I served it with a simple cucumber salad but steamed broccoli or sugar snap peas will be just as delicious.
Full recipe + amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Chicken breasts. You can use boneless thighs too.
- Sesame oil.
- Soy sauce. Coconut aminos or Tamari can be substituted.
- Sake/Mirin. (optional)
- Brown sugar.
How to make easy Teriyaki chicken
- Cook the chicken: Because I cut out the marinating of the chicken, it’s important to cook the chicken in a hot pan quickly to avoid it overcooking. Chop boneless, skinless chicken breasts into bite-sized chunks then pat dry with paper towels. This will allow the chicken to brown quicker. Preheat a large frying over high heat then cook the chicken in a teaspoon of sesame oil until golden brown all over. Remove from the pan while you make the sauce.
- Make the sauce: Combine the soy sauce, vinegar, sake/mirin (if using), garlic, ginger, honey and brown sugar then pour into the hot pan. Allow to come to a boil and cook for a minute or two until the sauce starts to reduce.
- Combine with the chicken: Add the chicken and all their resting juices back into the pan. Coat the chicken with the sauce and cook for another 4-5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened. Serve the Teriyaki chicken with sesame seeds over rice.
What to serve with Teriyaki chicken
- Cucumber salad
- Steamed rice
- Steamed broccoli or sugar snap peas
Easy chicken breast recipes
- Crispy Chicken Schnitzel
- Creamy spinach garlic chicken
- Easy lemon-herb chicken skewers
- Caprese stuffed chicken breasts
Easy Teriyaki chicken
- 500 g (1lb) boneless skinless chicken breasts cubed
- 1-2 tsp sesame oil
- ½ cup soy sauce (I prefer using low-sodium soy sauce)
- ¼ cup Sake/Mirin (optional, replace with water)
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tsp crushed fresh ginger
- sesame seeds to serve
- Heat a large frying pan over high heat.
- Pat the chicken breast pieces dry with paper towels.
- Add the sesame oil to the pan followed by the chicken. Brown the chicken well on all sides then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Combine the remaining ingredients except for the sesame seeds. Pour into the pan.
- Allow the sauce to come to a boil and cook for 1-2 minutes until it starts to thicken then add the chicken and its resting juices back into the pan.
- Allow to cook for 4-5 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is sticky and coating the chicken.
- Sprinkle over the sesame seeds and serve.